The Analysis of any Horoscope is a very complex process and it involves many steps one after the other so that a correct analysis of the Natal Chart can be done and proper predictions can be made. Generally the following steps are followed :-
1. The first step is to assess the general strength of the Horoscope. For this, the Lagna and its Lord are seen primarily along with the position and strength of the Sun and Moon :
A) Personality of the native depends upon the Lagna & Lagna Lord and the influence of the various planets present in the Lagna, aspecting the Lagna, position of the Lagna Lord, planets present along with Lagna Lord or those aspecting it.
B) Nature and temperament of a native depends upon the position of Moon, the planets aspecting the Moon or those present along with the Moon.
C) The Sun represents the Soul & Body of the native and its placement is also very important for a correct assessment of the Horoscope.
2. The second step is to assess the Kendras ( 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th houses ) and Trikonas ( 5th & 9th houses ) along with the placement of their Lords, the planets aspecting these houses and also the planets aspecting or in conjunction with their Lords :
A) The 1st house (Lagna Sthan) primarily represents the Body of the native, 4th house (Sukh Sthan) represents the Luxuries that native will enjoy, 7th house (Kama Sthan) represents marriage and partnerships and 10th house (Karma Sthan) represents the profession of the native. If the lords of these houses are in a good position, good planets are present in these houses or they are under the aspects of benefic planets, then the native enjoys a happy life.
B) The Kendras i.e.5th house is the house of accumulated good or bad deeds of the past life and 9th house is representative of religious deeds of this life. If good planets are the lord of these trikonas or benefic planets are present in these houses, then native gets very good results in life.
C) If the lord of any Kendra is placed in any Trikona or vice versa or if the lord of any Kendra and Trikona Sthana are associated with each other by way or placement, aspect or conjunction then a RAJ YOGA is formed which gives very good results during the Dasha and Antardasha or respective planets.
3. After this, the individual houses of the horoscope should be analyzed. This will help us to assess the strength or the weakness of the individual houses and accordingly the results associated with that house will be good or bad for the native :
For analysis of individual house :-
A) The lord of the house and its placement in the horoscope should be seen.
B) The various planets aspecting that house should be seen, as to whether they are benefic or malefic planets that are aspecting the house in question
C) The position of the Karak planet of that house should be seen along with the above
D) The planets present in this house should be seen as to whether they are good or bad.
Once the above parameters have been assessed carefully, one can always predict the results of any particular house keeping in mind the general strength of the horoscope.
For assessing any particular aspect of life we should assess the position of the house related to that aspect. Like if we are checking for the Marriage, we should check the 7th house of the horoscope for the above mentioned parameters. Apart from this we should also check the position of the natural facilitator planet for that event e.g. in case of marriage we should see the position of Jupiter and Venus in the horoscope.
For assessing any particular event of life, the concerned Divisional Chart should also be checked. For example if we want to evaluate the horoscope for marriage, we should check the Navamsha Chart for the position of Jupiter and Venus over there as well as the position of Lagna lord in the Navamsha Chart. For Children we should Check the 5th house in lagna chart along with Saptamsha Divisional Chart.
4. Once the Natal chart has been analyzed for the various parameters mentioned above, then the position of various planets should also be checked in the Navamsa Chart for confirming the actual strength of the planet.
For Example, a planet may be Exalted in the Lagna Chart, but if it is in a bad situation ( Debilitated ) in the Navamsha Chart, then it may not be able to give the expected results. Hence it is of utmost importance that the position of each and every planet should be seen in both i.e. the Lagna as well as Navamsha Chart. If a planet is in the same sign in both the Lagna chart as well as Navamsha Chart then it is called as a Vargottam Planet and it gives results of a Exalted planet.
5. After this, we should check for the various Yogas present in the horoscope. Sometimes the general promise of the horoscope is not very good yet the native leads a very good life which is due to the presence of certain extremely good yogas including Raj Yogas. Similarly sometimes the horoscope may be very good and yet the native leads a bad life which can be due to bad yogas present in the horoscope.
6. For finding out the timing of various events, we should check the Dasha Periods as well as the transit of various planets :
In case we want to assess the timings of any particular event, we should give particular attention to the planets concerned with the event, their Dasha, Anterdasha and transit periods.
Last but not the Least , an Astrologer should always give preference to the well being of the Native whose Horoscope is being assessed and the astrologers benefits or vested interests should never take precedence over those of the native.